Boudoir photography is a fascinating realm. It’s fun, sexy, and sometimes you learn some new things about yourself. I’ve been doing boudoir photography for over ten years, and have learned a lot during that time. Here are some things I want you to know as you prepare for your boudoir session:
- There are no perfect bodies – only smartly composed photographs of them. I’ve seen them all. Even the ones that look like they will be “flawless”, aren’t, so let yourself off the hook. Please don’t compare yourself to other people – you have your own unique kind of beauty. Revel in that, because that’s what I’m going to want to photograph.
- The sexiest move you can make has to do with your eyes. No matter how much, or how little clothing you are wearing, your eyes are the star of the show in a photograph. Resist the urge to hide your eyes with too much makeup, excessive eye makeup gobbles up the light. If for some reason I feel like your eyes makeup needs accentuating, I can easily do that in photoshop. I cannot, however, remove eye makeup in photoshop.
- Speaking of things that are impossible to fix in photoshop: tan lines, sun burns, and botox overdoses. Do not do any of these things before your shoot. Seriously. If you end up catching some rays before your shoot, do it naked.
- Boudoir can mean a lot of things – from a cute flirty picture of you in a tank top and jeans, to a completely nude and erotic photograph. It’s totally your call. We’ll talk about what kinds of photos and what your photographic boundaries are, a few days before the shoot, so that you and I both know exactly what to expect on the day of your shoot. This is essential to you being able to relax into the situation and really enjoy the process.
- We’ll have an honest talk about your strong points and your weak points. We’ll choose clothing, angles, and lighting that accentuate your best parts and downplay your weak points.
- I can add or subtract 20 lbs with the use of light and shadow, so waiting to do your shoot until you lose that last 10 lbs is totally pointless. Seize the day, my friend. Do it today or do it in 6 months after you’ve attained a major personal goal… “next month” is a pretty little lie you tell yourself, and it never actually happens.
- Do what you need to do in order to feel really sexy and sensual before, and during the shoot. Give yourself a spa day, take an extra long bath, hit the gym, meditate, spend some intimate time with your partner, have a glass of wine…whatever. Know yourself and put yourself in your most sexy state of mind before your shoot. It will show. Your job is to relax into your sensuality, my job is to create a safe, fun, creative, professional atmosphere for that to happen.
- Boudoir photography is an investment in an experience you’ll be able to talk about – and show off – for the rest of your life.You should plan on spending between $500 – $1500.
- Look “normal” – though I can bring in a superb hair & makeup artist, I prefer for you to look like… YOU. Please resist the temptation to do something really different, or to try too hard with your hair & makeup, as well. When all is said and done, I want you too look at your photos and be able to say, “Good Lord, I didn’t realize how pretty I am on a regular basis!” rather than, “Sigh… this was the only day of my life that I actually ever looked like this”.
- I can photoshop things. Yes. If you break out with a zit, have a scar, or some other blemish that is bumming you out, I can make that go away very easily. Can I photoshop you to look more skinny? Please see #9
“If you can create something time cannot erode, something which ignores the eccentricities of particular eras or moments, something truly timeless, this is the ultimate victory.”
Getting started is easy. Call or email for your free consultation:
801 994 6960
Or send me an email: